Fifi took 10 years off my life

This post may contain affiliate links which help support my family. Thank you for stopping by.

Fifi and I were watching Oprah early Tuesday evening when she fell off the couch onto a pile of blankets and towels. She was non responsive and gasping for air. I got the fright of my life, I’d never seen a convulsion like that (my kids have all had convulsions with eyes rolling back and shaking, never like this) and I panicked. The convulsion lasted about 3-4 minutes and our neighbour came over to help with her as I didn’t know what to do. Thank the good Lord that our neighbours were home and rushed over to help as soon as Noo called. I really thought that we were going to loose her. Our neighbour’s wife rushed us to Wilgeheuwel Hospital (which is 5 minutes away) and stayed with me until Papa Steve arrived about 15 minutes later. We were lucky enough that their son was home and offered to stay with the boys until my FIL arrived. We are really lucky that we have such wonderful people next door. They even sent dinner over for the boys ♥

When we got to the hospital they saw us immediately and stabilised Fifi. She had a temperature of 39*C and was given a suppository immediately. She had fallen asleep in the car and I couldn’t wake her. When they did the light on the pupil test, her eyes didn’t dilate, but as soon as they wanted to check her ears she screamed blue murder, she doesn’t like people touching her ears. That was the first sign that she was becoming coherent. They sent out down for a CT scan to check for possible brain damage and a chest x-ray to eliminate fluid on the lungs. Both scans were clear!!!

They wanted to admit her and we were informed that we have to abide to visiting times and won’t be allowed to sleep over. We were not going to have that and she was transferred to Olivedale Clinic. When we got there, we found out that the transfer wasn’t done correctly and they had to do all the tests and examinations again. Wilgeheuwel never transferred us, they discharged Fifi without following the correct procedures.

Papa Steve spent the night with Fifi in hospital so I could spend the day with her on Wednesday if she wasn’t discharged in the morning.

When I got there on Wednesday morning, the Paed was there to see her. She was fine, like nothing had happened He checked her over and said she has a viral infection which probably caused the fever and the febrile (fever) convulsion. He says there is no physical signs of head trauma, so she probably had a convulsion which caused the fall. She was discharged immediately and was running around the house like a mad thing as soon as we got home.

Thank you everyone for all the prayers and messages on Facebook, I truely appreciate it.