Today is #PackYourOwnLunchDay and I’ve been challenged by NetFlorist to share our lunchboxes for tomorrow.
Being homeschoolers, I don’t pack traditional lunch boxes. The children all have very busy afternoon schedules and packing snack boxes is a high priority for me. It saves costs and stops the kids from eating too much junk. Nutrition is very important for growing bodies and vital for sportsman. Making sure my children have a variety of healthy foods to snack on between extramurals is very important to keep their energy levels up and the hangry moments down to a minimum.
Standard lunch box staples are cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, biltong, fresh fruit salad (I use what’s in season), muffins, sandwiches, cheese portions, sandwiches, a juice box and always a bit bottle of water each. The size of the portions all depends on how busy with children will be on that particular day. I do sometimes include a treat like a small chocolate (marshmallow eggs are always a hit and the prefect size for our lunchboxes) or a small packet of popcorn to spice things up a little. Keep an eye out on our Instagram account tomorrow for the kidlets’ lunch boxes for tomorrow.
In the spirit of “caring is sharing”, I decided to share my favourite super easy cheese muffin recipe which is great for lunchboxes. They also freeze really well.
Easy Peasy Cheesy Muffins by Momma Jo
- 2 Cups Flour I use self raising flour
- 4 Tablespoons Baking powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt I prefer to use sea salt
- 1 Cup Milk You can substitute this with coconut milk
- 2.5 Cups Cheddar cheese, grated (shredded) I like to use a mix of white and yellow cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 200*C.
- Grease 2 muffin tins with butter or cooking spray.
- Mix all your dry ingredients thoroughly in a bowl.
- Add the milk a little at a time till you get to a batter consistency. I find the wetter the batter, the less dry the muffins tend to be. Make sure the batter is runny.
- Add 2 cups of cheese and mix well.
- Half fill each muffin tin half way and top each muffin with a little of the remaining cheese
- Bake for 20 minutes.
NetFlorist has some really C.U.T.E. lunches that can be personalised for your kidlets! Here are three of my favourites:
The must have Monster Lunchbox for Koko
Pretty little Butterfly Lunchbox for Fifi
Happy Hearts for Pixie
You can also order matching personlised Kids’ Drink Bottles!